Do you want to know “How to become a personal Security Guard?” Personal security guards, otherwise known as bodyguards, are skilled and sometimes armed professionals who protect the lives of common people and many VIPs. They play an important role in protecting the property of the people as they carry out extensive security research of their houses and apartments and detect any loopholes or areas of concern, which can become dangerous.
But not many people know the process behind becoming a bodyguard. Today, we will answer this question and will explain to you in full detail the process and the requirements to become a personal security guard for people.
Qualification Of Personal Security Guard
Becoming a personal security guard is not the job for everyone since it entails having some essential qualities and skills. These qualities of a security guard, and more importantly of the one employed for your personal safety, range from but are not limited to having some level of combat training to having good problem-solving skills. Only by possessing these qualities can the guards perform their duties optimally, carry out security protocols, and protect their clients from danger.
The exact qualifications for becoming a security guard can vary from one state to another, but the basic ones which every guard must have include:
- Basic level of education
- Basic combat training. If the security guard is entitled to use firearms, he must also have extensive firearm training and should know the legalities behind their use on the job.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to operate security camera ad emergency equipment
- Ability to detect and solve security problems as they arise.
- Attention to detail about the security position on the job site.
- Excellent team contribution skills
How To Become A Personal Security Guard? The Procedure
There is no hard and fast rule behind the procedure to becoming a security guard, but some of the essential steps include:
- Complete your basic training. If you also go for other advanced types of training for security guards, that would be a plus point.
- Get your security guard license. Getting a security license will mean that you have completed all the training for becoming a personal security guard and have all the required skills and expertise.
- Participate in volunteer security activities. Some companies organize these, and they can be a great way to assess your security skills and your position.
- Seek employment in various security companies to get experience. Getting jobs in as many companies as you can and getting first-hand exposure to the job ensures that people can trust you with the security of their lives and property.
- Maintain your skills over time. Security guards must always be alert and focused during the job. Thus you have to engage in various simulatory exercises to ensure that your skills are not catching dust.
In order to get the best personal security guard services in San Diego, you can contact us at Professional Security Guard Company Inc. and can get all the details about the process to move one step closer to your personal security.
How Long Does It Take To Become Personal Security Guard?
The exact time for becoming a personal security guard varies from state to state. In California, the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) oversees the whole process. For this department, the whole process is as follows:
- Guards first need a guard card, which requires taking 8 hours of class time.
- Within 30 days of getting the guard card, the guards appear in a 16-hour training regiment.
- Within 6 months of getting your guard card, you have to appear in another 16-hour training session. This makes a total of two 16-hour sessions after you get your card. These two sessions, combined with the 8-hour class, make a total of 40 hours.
- Private security officer training requires the guards to take another 16 hours of training, in addition to the initial 40 hours, after which, they can apply for personal security jobs.
These hours are not continuous, but the department divides the total training work over several days or weeks. These exact days can vary for different guards in different locations.
Training Path Of Personal Security Guard:
In addition to the general requirements to become a security guard, The training path of a personal security guard consists of three main stages:
The required formal education for the personal security position is a high-school diploma. Higher education is not necessary but is recommended since it makes the candidate appear attractive in their job applications. If you decide to go for this additional education, make sure that you get a course that aligns with your duties as a personal security guard, such as getting technology-related classes if you are going to be operating security equipment.
You must complete the basic training, as well as other advanced training regimes to be able to perform your guard duties effectively. We have already discussed the whole training program and the hours required to become a personal security guard above. The gist of the matter is that you need about 40 hours of basic training, as well as an additional 16 hours of personal security guard training.
Some companies also need the guards protecting their assets to undergo other internal training courses, which the guards take on the work site.
Some personal security guards also operate firearms while on the job and thus need to have armed training to operate them. Armed security training is in addition to basic training, and is included in the training regime of the guards who are to operate guns. The exact hours and the type of training depend vary for different states.
Armed security is essential for many personal guards to have since they can counter any serious threats from a distance. This training also prepares the guard’s armed self-defense techniques to protect them in case of any attacks.
- What is the height requirement of a personal security guard?
The common height requirement to become a personal security guard is about 165cm or 5.4 feet. These figures can vary for different companies and states, and some states do not follow a height requirement altogether.
- How much does a personal security guard get paid?
In the US, personal security guards can earn a lot of money, starting from about $40,000 a year, and going up to six figures depending on the complexity of the job or the type of employer. In addition to this salary, personal security guards also enjoy other benefits of being a security guard.
We have covered everything you need to know about personal security guards, from their qualifications and requirements to the procedure and training path, and hopefully have answered your question,” How to become a personal security guard?” The importance of security guards and especially of personal guards, is on the rise and the common masses, in addition to the VIPs, are choosing them to make their property secure and protect themselves from any external threats. Getting a personal security guard ensures your life is in safe hands, and you can go about your business without any worry about your safety.